Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rants and Recipes

If you read the last post, you know that I've been following the Whole30 program for a little over 2 weeks. Rather than tell you what I can't eat--I'm just not a glass-half-empty kind of girl-- I'm gonna tell you what I can and do eat:

I eat whole, natural foods. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and yummy fats from coconuts, avocados and clarified butter or ghee.

But Francesca, you're a foodie. How are you possibly restricting so many delicious foods? The majority of people who are aware of my eating changes have said slight variations of the same thing. Moderation is key, they say. (And I'm sure I've said myself countless times) Can't you just have a few bites of this decadent brownie with ice cream and caramel drizzle? The answer is YES. I can have anything I want. The catch is, I don't want it.

Let me reiterate (briefly): for a few years now, my health hasn't been optimal. I've had headaches, GI upset, anxiety, and weight gain. When I discovered the Paleo diet just over a month ago, I had nothing to loose and I was desperate to feel better. I'm not in perfect health yet, but the benefits I have gained so far are immeasurable. Those of you who read my previous post know.

That said, I love my new way of eating! It breaks all the traditional rules and challenges conventional wisdom and proves that the Standard American Diet is hurting us in the long run. It's my birthright to feel optimally healthy and I don't want to eat things that make me feel any less than that.

Part 2 of this post, all ranting aside, is two delicious recipes that have satisfied my craving for all things creamy and luscious: homemade mayo and green goddess dressing! So cheap to make and so unbelievably delicious.

3 Ingredient Mayo

-1 egg
-2 tbsp white wine vinegar (or any other acidic component you have, lemon juice works!)
-1 1/4 LIGHT olive oil. Not extra virgin.
*Season with salt and pepper

ALL ingredients must be at room temperature or the emulsification process won't work. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

In a blender crack the egg and add 2 tbsp of WWV along with 1/4 cup of the light olive oil. Blend until well mixed. Then, with the blender on, SLOWLY drizzle in the remaining cup of oil. Taste for seasoning.

The end product should be thick, creamy, with just a little bite from the acid.

It took me a few tries to get the consistency right so if at first you don't succeed...

Green Goddess Dressing:
-Juice and zest of one lime
-1 Hass avocado
-1/2 cup of light olive oil
-1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
-Salt and pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients into submission!

Enjoy

Xoxo

2 comments: