Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Good News From Home

It feels good to be home for Spring break. A Whole Foods 5 minutes from the house and a huge kitchen to work in makes me a very happy girl!

Last night, while visiting my Grandma, I received inspiring news. In an effort to stop taking the medication prescribed to her for diabetes and blood pressure, my Grandmother has decided to adopt a diet free of animal products! Me, having a diet that consists of about 90% plant products, was thrilled that she was making such a natural change for a better and more energetic life! Changing my diet has had a deeply positive impact on my life and seeing my Grandmother, a woman that I so admire, take a similar path just made me giddy inside!

So what made her make the change? A late night documentary on WEDU hosted by Dr. Neal Barnard, a world renown doctor and nutrition expert. He has written many books such as Breaking the Food Seduction, Food for Life, and Dr. Neal T. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. He has also written forwards to numerous books including one of my favorite Vegan cookbooks The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. All of which can be found at Amazon.com

Here is a recipe inspired by my Italian, and now vegetarian (!), Grandmother:

Tangy White Bean Dip

1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can drained and rinsed Great Northern beans
1 jar artichoke hearts plus 1 tbsp of the juice they are packed in, Vigo brand is awesome!
A handful of Kalamata olives, pitted
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Throw it all in the food processor and blend until desired texture is reached. Serve with baby carrots, celery, fennel, grape tomatoes, pita chips, or any other crudite you like!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment