Monday, March 22, 2010

Pasta Potluck & Recipe Flop

Potluck parties are fun. Who doesn't love the possibility that everyone will bring a dessert? Or, at this particular potluck, bring a split between dessert dishes and pasta dishes. Even better! This was the second annual get together potluck and with the exception of my dried out pasta, (will explain below) it turned out to be a wonderful night.

On the menu? Green salad with toasted almonds and craisins, Chicken Tetrazzini, Fettucini Alfredo with Scallops, and, albeit dry, Rotini with artichoke hearts, spinach, and Reggianno Parmesan. For dessert? Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, Pound Cake with Masserated Strawberries, Marble Cake with Fudgey Icing, Z-Bars, White & Dark Chocolate Fudge, and Brownies with Raspberry Preserves running through them. Heaven on Earth? I would say yes.

After I was done consuming creamy, buttery pasta and a taste of, yes, every single dessert, I began to ponder about my dry pasta. The original idea came from a spin on spinach artichoke dip. I scanned many recipes including a pasta version from Rachael Ray's Express Lane Cookbook and a pasta bake from this months Real Simple Magazine. Both recipes called for basically the same thing: spinach, short pasta, marinated artichoke hearts, 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, and 4 oz. Parmesan.

I know that baking pasta can dry it out but I knew something else was missing. After rereading the recipe in Real Simple, I noticed it called for CREAMED spinach. To be honest, I wanted to make a rue (flour, sugar, milk) and add the cheeses too it but I didn't because I wanted to "follow the recipe". I guess if I had followed the recipe, cream spinach including, the moist pasta dish I had anticipated would have turned out!

That is truly the joy of cooking. The more you do it the better you get and the more knowledge you obtain. So here is the retested recipe from the April issue of Real Simple Magazine. I hope you will try it as it only takes 25 minutes to prepare!

Cheesy Baked Pasta with Spinach and Artichokes

8 oz short pasta
1 14 oz can/jar marinated artichokes, I like Alessi brand
1 9 oz package frozen creamed spinach, thawed
1/4 grated parmesan
1 cups grated mozzarella
Black pepper

Cook pasta according to the box. Ehen the water comes to boil remember to salt the water really well... a big pinch! This will flavor the pasta. Drain the pasta and return it to the dish.

When the pasta is done, go ahead and heat the broiler.

Add the artichoke hearty, spinach, Parm, half the mozzarella, and 1/4 t pepper to the pasta and toss to combine.

Transfer the mixture to a small oven proof dish and cover the top with the remaining mozzarella. Broil until cheese is browned. About 2 or 3 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment