Friday, February 19, 2010

Perfect Pasta Sauce

It was a ritual that every Sunday growing up we'd gather at my grandparents house and share Sunday Dinner together. And every Sunday, without fail, there would be a large pot of red sauce sauce simmering away on the stove top. Usually with hearty meat balls and tender pork floating about inside. I wished for something new and exciting, "Please, Mom," I would say, "Do we have to go to grandma's? I'm sick of spaghetti and meatballs." But by the time 6 o clock rolled around, I was the first one sitting at the table eager for buttered bread and a plate of pasta swimming in steaming sauce.

Now that I'm in college, I only enjoy this supper on holiday... grandma's version at least. But whenever I get the itch for slow cooked spaghetti sauce, I turn to the old family tradition made slightly simpler by me.

Classic Red Sauce
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsps butter
2 tbsps EVOO
1 6 oz can (no salt added) tomato sauce
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
5 or 6 fresh basil leaves, julienned
Kosher or Sea Salt

On the bottom of a large sauce pot melt together the butter and olive oil. Then add the trinity (garlic, GP, onions) and season with salt. Cook until soft and fragrant. Add the two cans of sauce and season again to taste. Finish the sauce with basil and let the flavors slowly merry for a while. It's that easy!

I added browned, organic, Italian chicken sausage to my sauce this past Sunday and served it over whole wheat thin spaghetti. And, of course, mounds of savory Parmesan cheese. It was delicious and my roommates loved it!

1 comment: