Monday, February 15, 2010

A Cheap Grocery Bill, Please.

After spending $60/person at Cypress Restaurant with my Parents and family friends on Valentine's Day, I decided to see how cheap I could make this weeks grocery bill. Though the food at Cypress was first class, I just can't let go of the fact that the food I cook at home is just as good and just as satisfying... without the fancy price tag.

Scanning the aisles at Publix I was drawn to anything colorful. Passing dozens of dreary February days, I was itching for something bright! Well you know this means the produce aisle. Like most Mediterranean countries, the Greeks emphasize fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans. When I spotted the whole wheat flat bread on sale, I threw them in my cart and headed for the produce.

I grabbed whatever looked the prettiest: Waxy red peppers, forest green-skinned cucumbers, and fresh arugula. I dropped by the dairy aisle for some tangy feta, and swooped down to ethnic foods for a can of Goya Garbanzo beans (aka Chick Peas!). Here is what I came up with:

Lemony, Crunchy, Colorful Mediterranean Wraps
1 cucumber, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 block feta, chopped in cubes
Juice of one lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus more
Salt and Pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. In the mean time toast the flat breads in the oven at 350. When they are slightly crispy pull them out. Drizzle EVOO on the bottom of the flat bread and pile a handful of arugula on top. Then top with a large scoop of the chick pea mixture. Makes enough for 4 (or more) servings. You will not be disappointed!


No comments:

Post a Comment