Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cooking with Quinoa

In an effort to be greener, healthier, and attempt new things in 2010, I've decided to do a smidgen of my grocery shopping at New Leaf Market, a cooperatively owned grocery store on Appalachee Pkwy that specializes in local, organic, health food.

Though I am slightly overwhelmed by the pint of blueberries for $8.99 (I kid you not!) I still find that some products especially the grains, nuts, flours, beans and seeds you can buy in bulk are reasonably priced. I went wild reading all the labels on the plastic bins! Spelt flour, wheat berries, quinoa, rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, and the list goes on! I mean... aren't you sick of brown rice too? It's time for a change so do me a favor and try this recipe... it was absolutely delicious and super filling!

Quinoa Pilaf with Pine Nuts:

Bring two cups of vegetable/chicken stock and 1 cup quinoa to a boil in a sauce pot. Once it has boiled reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes.

In a separate frying pan toast 1/4 cup of pine nuts. Cook them until you can smell their aroma... woodsy and buttery! When they are done set them aside and toss 1 whole chopped sweet onion into the pan. Saute with olive oil and some salt until soft. Add the nuts, onion, and some chopped parsley (or whatever fresh or dried herb you have!) to the quinoa and mix with a fork. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.

I served this with Lemon-Cumin Chicken but fish would work well too!

New Leaf's website:
http://www.newleafmarket.coop/


No comments:

Post a Comment