Sunday, January 24, 2010

Another Broken Egg Cafe

Hungry for brunch and wanting to take a little road trip, My friend Mandy and I drove the 10 miles down Thomasville Road to Another Broken Egg Cafe. A restaurant tucked inside a French Country style cottage. We parked in the gravel lot admiring the rippling lake and tall oak trees that surround the establishment. Inside the baby blue, white trimmed restaurant a hostess greeted us and we are taken to our table. Two words: WINDOW SEATING! I love nature and this particular window lent the view of the entire lake! So far, so good...

The menu is slightly overwhelming... categories include: Omelets, Scrambles, Signature Benedicts, Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast (Including a Bananas Foster version, YUM.) as well as a large lunch menu featuring burgers, salads, sandwiches and soups.

After reading over the menu for a while I decided on the Veggie Benedict... a toasted English muffin covered in sauteed Spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, and tomatoes with a poached egg happily sitting on top. I carved into my egg and the rich yellow yolk slid down the vegetables like volcanic lava. After a sprinkling of salt and pepper I cut a bite and savored the creaminess of the egg and slight crunch of the vegetables. My only complaint... the English muffin was a little soggy due the the wetness of the spinach. Besides that it was quite good. I also ordered the fruit plate which consisted of melons, apples, banana and kiwi, all of which were juicy and fresh. Next, I moved over to Mandy's plate... she ordered the Blackberry Grits and the Florida Omelet. Her omelet was rich and delicious covered with cream cheese, lump crab meat, jack cheese and scallions. I do think they could have added a touch more crab but the eggs were nice and fluffy and the crab was good quality and definitely sauteed in butter! The grits were nothing too special... served plain with a side of blackberry syrup meant to be swirled in.

I think I took a risk ordering savory breakfast. I am such a sweet breakfast person (a lover of biscuits and apple butter and pancakes covered in blueberry syrup) that eggs usually disappoint me. If I must be honest with you, I enjoyed the atmosphere far more than the food. But I do think it is worth going back especially on a lazy Saturday or Sunday and trying it out for yourself.

They are open Tuesday-Saturday from 7AM-2PM

read about the history and check out their menu online at:
http://www.anotherbrokenegg.com/index.php


No comments:

Post a Comment