Thursday, August 27, 2009

Food Glorious Food.

Food Glorious Food is tucked away in a quaint shopping plaza on N. Thomasville Road and Bradford. Naturally, I missed it the first time and had to make a U-turn. Beware of this... it is hard to spot at first. The tables were covered in white sheet paper and a dimly lit candle. After passing the out door seating and making my way inside, with Christine of course, the large dessert case caught my eye and I nearly had an... well, you get the picture. I resisted the urge to walk over and Christine and I sat a table by the window and waited to be served. The menu was filled with unique appetizers, small plates, and mains, with a petite list of A la Carte sides at the bottom. After much debate, we decided on the Cuban Roast Pork, served atop a cheddar, cornmeal, pancake and accented with salsa fresca and herb sour cream, the Crab Cake with remoulade sauce, the veggie slaw, and the absolutely decadent, buttery, sauteed mushrooms.

The pulled pork was served Cuban style, sans BBQ sauce (thank God) but still a little dry for my taste. The pancake was my favorite. I just love bread in general and with that added cheddar cheese... I was hooked. The salsa was fresh and the sour cream added a nice
tangyness to the spiced pork. The crab cake came next. It was lightly fried in I'm guessing olive or canola oil and VERY meaty. Hardly any breading, which, is how a crab cake should be. I'm afraid it was a little too lemony but the remoulade gave the dish balance. The veggie slaw was nothing special. Just some julienned carrots, zucchini and squash but a healthy side none the less. And last but not least THOSE BUTTERY MUSHROOMS. Oh my God. If you order anything from FGF, please order these alongside your meal. The are crispy and meaty and perfect. YUM.

Later, the cutest little waitress told us about each dessert in the case, homemade, in house. The first one looked like a 10 pound chocolate rock filled with layers of fresh whipped cream. She then pointed out various fresh fruit cobblers which are made according to the season (right now it is apple-peach), cream cakes, and pies filled with everything from white chocolate to peanut butter. Nothing I haven't seen before... But then out of no where she mentions an Almond Joy Cake. Now, in my opinion there is nothing better in this world than an Almond Joy EXCEPT an Almond Joy Cake. Though I was full, I did not want to miss out on this culinary experience so we ordered it to go. At about midnight I awoke from a dream about the
AJC, popped from my bed, and headed for the fridge. A few bites of the almond graham cracker crust, coconut filling and rich, chocolate ganache was just what I needed to sleep like a happy baby until morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment