Friday, September 4, 2009

Cypress

After an extremely long day of classes, work, and meetings, a relaxing dinner is just what I needed. I decided on Cypress Restaurant, located in a small building on the corner of Tennessee Street and Gadsden. I was extremely relieved that my dinner guest cancelled so I could dine alone. If you've never done this, I strongly encourage it. Maybe take a magazine or pencil and paper (not a cell phone). Not only will you receive more attention from the wait staff but also from the other guests who are most likely curious about your motives for eating companionless. If you love attention, this is a classy way to get it.

I sat down just as the restaurant opened at 5pm in a little booth by the window. The tables were dress in white cloth, white plates, and silver table wear with yellow flowers floating in petite vases. Very French Country. Each wall was painted in subdued versions of yellow, red, purple, and an unpleasant hospital green. I immediately noticed the natural light flowing in behind me and the soft jazz music playing in the speaker above my head. I scanned the restauant and noticed two older couples were dining and eavesdropped for a while. Nothing remately interesting was said. I should have known the entertainment would be scarce at 5 o'clock. My waiter, Jonathan, brought me ice water and a menu. The menu is small, consisting of Little Dish (apps), Bowls (soups), and Big Dish (entrees), and I like that. It means two things: they most likely change the menu everyday and/or they use only the freshest and best tasting ingredients that day offers. In addition to the daily menu, there is a cheese tasting menu that looked fantastic as well as a separate menu for bar guests.

Jonathan came back to take my order and informed me that I could take the menu home because they reprint them everyday (I figured). I suppose he noticed that I was jotting down notes and wanted to make things easier for me. How nice of him! He took my order and brought out shortbread biscuits, crusty, white bread and butter. If you are not familiar with short bread, it is a versatile white dough made with butter and flour. You can fold anything from cheese to chocolate chips into it and trust me you will not be disappointed. Cypress slightly sweetens their biscuits with sugar. They were heavenly and I put the other two in my purse.

I decided to start with the Locally-Farmed Salad for $7. A perfect choice for my health and for the community. I love restaurants that support local farmers. I also love knowing that my vegetables haven't been shipped thousands of miles before entering my mouth. A variety of lettuces, carrots, and sweet grape tomatoes were dressed with an Herb-Shallot Vinegarette and spiced pecan brittle. The vin tasted much like Italian dressing and the brittle was like a high class crouton-spicey and sweet and crunchy. Fantastic stick-to-your-teeth kind of stuff. I wish they sold that brittle separately. Although the salad was delicious and fresh, it was a little small for the price. I would have like to see a little more volume and variety.

I then ordered the Forbidden Sea Scallops from the Little Dish section of the menu. Three large scallops were seared-dry creating a perfect crust and melt in your mouth center. They were served over black rice risotto in a sea of ginger-papaya sauce and topped with cucumber-jalapeno relish. It was like three floating islands on a plate and I ate every bite. There are a variety of salads featuring fresh fruit and vegetables as well as oysters, shrimp, and tuna dishes available on the Little Dish menu. The portions are small but ample and the prices range from $7-$10.

I decided to skip a Big Dish and opt for dessert in stead. The mains sounded delicious though. Chanterelle (wild mushroom) Stuffed Flounder, 8 oz. Filet, Grilled Lamb Loin, and Lobster Tail Paella are just a few entree options. As for the flavors accompanying these dishes: I noticed lots of citrus, especially orange, which brightens the flavor of everything. For example, Citrus & Bourbon Spiced Jus, Fennel (crunchy like celery, tastes like licorice) Citrus Slaw, and Orange-Roasted Pepper Gastrique (fruit and vinegar reduction that creates a thick sauce). You'll also notice lots of Caribbean influence in dishes served with Plantain Maduros (Sweet, sauteed bananas) Tropical Fruit Salsa, and Tomatillo Salsa Verde.

Overall, however, the menu uses predominantly French and Italian ingredients: wild mushrooms, kalamata olives, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, leeks, arugula, eggplant, and fennel.

Terms from the dinner menu that may be unfamiliar:
*Concasse: a French term meaning to rough chop and ingredient, especially vegetables.
*Jus: any reduced sauce made from the stock of meat or vegetables
*Coulis: a thick sauce that can be sweet or savory
*Caponata: a Sicilian dish usually consisting of chopped eggplant and other vegetables such as celery or olives
*Confit: French term meaning preserved. Usually duck meat that is salted and aged.
*Andouille Sausage: originally French and now mostly classified with Cajun cooking, it is smoked sausage with a kick.

It was finally time for dessert and lucky for me aside from the home-made chocolate cake, peach pie, and peanut butter bomb, they also offer home-made ice cream. I am such an ice-cream kind of woman. I told Jonathan I wanted the Double Chocolate Chip Stout Ice cream. Yes, Stout! And a decaf Espresso. So, this ice cream is made with stout beer, which is dark and bitter, BUT during the cooking process most of the stout is burned off leaving the ice cream with a rich, malty undertone. It was so creamy and satisfying.

My bill arrived and it was not cheap but I had some extra scholarship dough and wanted a special treat. This is definitely a good place for an occasion or anniversary. Lots of colorful ingredients and special attention to detail make each plate presentation unique and romantic.

Cypress is open dinner only, Tues-Saturday at 5pm.
www.cypressrestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment