Friday, August 28, 2009

Cafe Annapurna

So, I've been to the Tallahassee strip about twice as a college student. I must say beer in plastic cups, sweat and cloisterphobia are not really my thing. BUT, since Tallahassee is extra special, they decided to put an authentic Tibetan/Nepali cafe neighboring these bars. I cannot tell you how excited I was about this. When I first saw it, I was getting a vanilla cone at McDs (the only thing I will ever get there... though I'd like to try the third pounder. Who could deny REAL ANGUS BEEF? Gross.) Anyways, I felt like I had to try it as soon as possible and since then I have had an two pleasant experiences there.

This place is a true hole in the wall (I'm talking brown tile floor and orange painted bead board booths) run by the native themselves. Which is a fantastic sign because you know the food will be authentic, fresh, and healthy. In addition, both times I've been there, there are natives eating and speaking the native tongue, another good sign. I'm sure they were thanking Buddha that they didn't have to eat dreadful American cuisine.

Now, Nepal and Tibet are located right between China and India. The cuisine has elements of both--dumplings and pita are both choices on Cafe Annapurna's menu. Speaking of the menu... it is a bit hard to understand at a first glance. Menu items include Papad, Achar, Chhole, Partaha and Dal. Translation: Lentil tortilla, Nepali potato salad, marinated chickpeas, flakey wheat flour bread, and spinach lentil soup. Don't worry, I didn't look these up myself. The English version is right on the menu.

I went there for lunch yesterday with my cousin (she is another food buddy of mine because she's not afraid to try new things) and they had a pretty decent lunch crowd. We ordered the Tibetan Momo, the Paratha Plate, and Curry Tofu. The Momo are dumplings and they are DELICIOUS. They are filled with ground seasoned turkey and vegetables and served with a tangy brown sauce similar to soy but not as salty. The Paratha Plate was the daily special for 5.99. Holler. Anywho, it comes with 2 parathas (the flakey, sweet, wheat bread almost like pita but softer and more doughy), Nepali potato salad, which is so not what you think. The color is bright curry powder yellow and more veggie than potatoey. It also comes with Chhole which are the marinated chick peas. The Curry Tofu is self explanitory... the basmati rice it comes with however, is beyond description. You must taste it for yourself and only a true foodie can appreciate the flavor of such a simple side. The spices you can expect in all of these dishes are cumin, chillies, coriander, mrethi, fenugreek, fennel, turmeric, and tamarind. Really earthy and smokey flavors.

If you want my honest opinion this place is fantastic. It is perfect for a quick lunch... you order and pay at the counter and when the food is up they bring it to your table. When you're done you pick up after yourself and put your plate on top of the waste basket by the door. No tipping necessary.

A very positive experience. I'm curious how is is for dinner... but that's another day.

P.S. There are tons of Annapurna's all over the country... but don't worry they ARE NOT chains. Annapurna is a series of peaks in the Himalayas. Here is the Tallahassee website link: cafe-annapurna.com

No comments:

Post a Comment